Monday 29 December 2014

Another Space Slann warband...

Following on from Andy (Of http://talesfromthemaelstrom.blogspot.co.uk/ fame) putting up some photos of his rather nicely Space Slann on his Facebook page, and also an associated discussion on the origins of the miniatures, over at the Oldhammer forum (here), I decided to pop up a few photos of my as yet unfinished Space Slann warband, also spurred on by my recent trip to the Mayan ruins in Mexico.

This one is based around the mysterious Nohoch-Mul, an ancient Slann Mage, seen here at the back, in his armoured, floating throne.


More after the cut...




And here he is, in all of his unfinished glory. He's actually a standard WFB Slann from the Lizardman range, and probably still available. For some reason I've got two of these, so might use the second throne as the basis for an artillery piece or something. 

Next up is the Warchief:


This guy is one of the original Space Slann range from '87, for some reason armed with an axe, and probably some sort of Jokaero weapon on his wristband.


Supporting him is a squad of Scout Braves, with pistols and hand weapons, converted from WFB slann with Lizardman and Dark Eldar parts.


This is an (unfinished) dreadnought proxy, made up of an old Void robot, some terminator arms, and again, a bunch of plastic Lizardman bits.



Another Slann squad, again converted from WFB Slann and with Dark Eldar weapons.

Next up is a bit of a diversion from the standard Space Slann force lists, but I've decided to use some of the WFB Skinks I had knocking around as extra muscle:


I'm really quite pleased with how these turned out, they're armed with assorted Necromunda weapons, and a few other bits I had knocking around.

After doing them, I went on to make some heavy support, made from a combination of plastic Lizardmen and Tau Kroot parts:



Only managed to get one of these painted up so far, but I made a squad of them and a leader. I've also got a couple of squads worth of actual Space Slann, as well as a bunch more WFB ones to convert if needed, and some zoats, but they're all in bare metal, so I haven't bothered photographing those.

Hopefully it won't take long to get these all finished, the Lizardmen paint up quickly, and the Slann are all quite fun to paint.








5 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat Evo - but my 18-strong warband is even less completed (just 1 painted). Those lizard man/kroot conversions look very natural, but my favourite is the slann with the big Dark Eldar gun. Nice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How easily did the Kroot arms fit on the lizardmen bodies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite easily, the gap is about the same width-wise, but the Kroot arms aren't as chunky looking at the shoulder as the Lizardman bodies, so I used the shoulderpads to cover the join.

      Delete
  3. Nice work mate! I think the weapon on the forearm is a needler by the way. Funny you've chosen that old Void robot for them, I was planning the exact same thing as they're still available from Scotia Grendel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet conversions! I like your use of the Dark Eldar and Kroot weapons with the Slann and Lizardman figures.

    ReplyDelete